Belmont World Film’s 15th Annual Family Festival, “Where Stories Come Alive,” runs from Friday, January 12 through Monday, January 15th.
It offers some of the world’s best films for children and adults, as well as a live version of “Circle Round,” WBUR’s popular children’s podcast
There are films about spies in the Netherlands, reindeer herding in Sweden, wild horses in Spain, brave boats in Norway, children overcoming disabilities in Colombia, and a benefit screening about brave and amazing child refugees from all over the world—plus a tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and a whole program of films based on books by Mo Willems!
Some highlights include:
* WBUR is bringing a live version of Circle Round, their storytelling podcast for kids ages 4 to 10, featuring carefully-selected folktales from around the world on Sunday at 10:30 AM at the Arlington Regent Theater.
* The international premiere of "Anchors Up: Boat to the Rescue," about a little boat who learns life lessons in a Norwegian harbor on Saturday at noon at Belmont Studio Cinema.
* The east coast premiere of "Cloudboy," a film about a boy who learns to herd reindeer among the indigenous Sami people in Lapland on Sunday at 1:15Pm at Arlington's Regent Theater.
* "Brave & Amazing Children" features four short films about child refugees and immigrants and is a benefit for the Refugee and Immigrant Assistance Center (RIAC) on Monday at 3:45 PM at the Brattle Theater in Cambridge.
* Bridges Together, an organization devoted to training others to implement successful and meaningful inter-generational programs, will distribute a guide to stimulate discussion between grandparents, parents, and children at "Oskar’s America" on Monday at 2:00 PM. (Brattle)
* The Reelabilities Film Festival, dedicated to promoting awareness and appreciation of the lives, stories and artistic expressions of people with different disabilities, is co-presenting "Hero Steps," about a 10 year-old boy from Colombia with a prosthetic leg who wishes to play in a school soccer tournament as he did before he lost his leg, on Monday at 12:00. (Brattle)
For the complete schedule visit www.belmontworldfilm.org
or call 617-484-3980.
If you have any questions or would like to purchase group tickets, contact email@example.com.
FRIDAY, January 12
Regent Theater, Arlington: OPENING NIGHT!
* 7:00 PM Master Spy |
North American premiere | The Netherlands | 2016 | 74 mins. | Dutch with subtitles
SATURDAY, January 13
Studio Cinema, Belmont
Theme: WATER, WATER, EVERYWHERE
* 10:00 AM What's New from Weston Woods Studios | New England premieres | USA | 2017 | 60 mins. | English
Anchors Up: Boat to the Rescue | International premiere | Norway | 2017 | 75 mins. | English
Shown with The World's Middlest Fish | US premiere | Norway | 2017 | 9 mins. | Norwegian with subtitles
* 1:45 PM
Tales from the Lakeside | East Coast premiere | Hungary | 2017 | 68 mins. | Hungarian with English subtitles read aloud (via headphones)
Shown with Hedgehog's Home | New England premiere | Canada | 10 mins. | 2016 | English
* 3:15 PM
Zip & Zap and the Captain's Island | New England premiere | Spain | 2016 | 105 mins. | Spanish with subtitles
SUNDAY, January 14
Regent Theater, Arlington:
Theme: THE ANIMAL KINGDOM
* 10:30 AM LIVE EVENT! WBUR Presents: Circle Round | 45 mins.
* 11:45 AM Mo Willems: Bunnies, Pigeons, Mole Rats, Alligators & Dinosaurs, Oh My! | USA | 54 mins. | English
* 1:15 PM Cloudboy
East Coast premiere | Belgium, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands | 2017 | 78 mins. | Dutch & Swedish with subtitles
* 3:00 PM Windstorm & the Wild Horses | International premiere | Germany | 2017 | 110 mins. | German with subtitles
MONDAY, January 15
Brattle Theater, Cambridge
Theme: HEROES IN OUR MIDST
* 10:30 AM
Honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.: Animated Children’s Books from Weston Woods Studios | USA | 60 mins. | English
Hero Steps | New England premiere | Colombia | 2016 | 91 mins. | Spanish with subtitles read aloud (via headphones)
Shown with The Reflection in Me | New England premiere | USA | 2017 | 4 mins. | English
* 2:00 PM
Oskar's America | North American premiere | Norway, Sweden | 2017 | 79 mins. | Norwegian with subtitles
Shown with Threads | US premiere | Canada, Norway | 2017 | 9 mins. | No dialogue
* 3:45 PM Brave & Amazing Children: Benefit for the Refugee & Immigrant Assistance Center | North American premieres | The Netherlands| 2017 | 68 mins. | Multi-languages with subtitles
Entertainment Special Offer Video Production